Sunday, March 13, 2011

Potty Training versus Drivers Training

I've realized that teaching quadruplets to drive is not that different than potting training quadruplets. My hair started turning white then. Well, today, I believe even my eyebrows are going to turn.
            When I decided it was time to start potty training, the kids were two weeks shy of their second birthday. I was tired of changing diapers. I was tired of paying for diapers. I wanted to be free. So I made a plan. We got up one day at the crack of dawn. Actually, it hadn't even cracked yet. It was pitch dark. I wanted to make sure everyone still had on dry pants. I knew each and every one of them had the capacity to stay dry all night. It was just during those morning hours (and Sesame Street) when I was too tired to tend to them right away that their status from dry-all-night converted to oops-I-need-a-diaper-change. So about three hours before Big Bird even woke up, I dragged out of their miniature beds four sleepy, confused toddlers, marched them into the kitchen, told them to down about 3 gallons each of apple juice, then led them into the bathroom. I had four potty chairs. I had books. I had a jar filled to the brim with M&Ms. We were set.
            About nine months, a lot of frustration, trial & error, M&Ms, and mishaps later, they were all potty trained. Mostly. Kind of.
            Today, around the crack of dawn, I woke my kids up. It was time for drivers training. Big Bird is no longer a close companion. Their drink of choice is no longer apple juice (but the 3 gallons is about right). But I am still tired. And I still long to be free. So it's time they learn to drive. The kids are still sleepy. When I talk at them (sounding no doubt like the adults in Charlie Brown cartoons: wah, wah, wahwahwah wah, wah, wah), they look confused. Like potty chairs, we have four cars.
As similar as the two experiences are, there are indeed differences. They didn't need seatbelts back then, though that would have helped that one day they all switched potties when I wasn't looking and I didn't know who'd filled the one potty or who should get the M&M. The fact that the potty chairs stayed in one place as we used them was lost on me. Oh, the security I took for granted. The ease. Those little stationary plastic chairs were so much safer than 2,000 pounds of steel propelled down a highway with the force of several hundred horsepower, They just sat there—except that period of time when, no matter what I said, Spencer kept dumping the potty buckets onto the floor because he wanted to help keep the potties clean. And even though I had to buy all those potty chairs, it was a lot cheaper to maintain and use them (and no insurance was necessary). Though one friend's husband wondered how we plumped the bathroom for four more potties. Obviously, he wasn't around when his wife potty trained their children.
Oh, and there is one difference most important of all: this time, I’m saving the M&Ms for myself!

No comments: