Thursday, October 2, 2008

Writer's Block

I’m so excited about my current novel. I’ve absolutely loved the research. I can’t wait to have my protagonist’s life unfold before my eyes. I see the scenes in my head, I envision the release of its publication, I feel the pen in my hand and the smile on my face as I do a book signing.
But for some reason I just can’t sit down and write the thing. I was even COOKING this morning instead of writing. And I HATE cooking. Everyone I know knows I hate cooking. Even my milkman knows and I’ve never met him. It just oozes out of me: "I HATE COOKING!" I wonder if finding myself standing over my frying pan sautéing the eggplant I just had to pluck from my garden this morning is any indication that I have some kind of writer’s block. Yesterday I tried to write, and suddenly I felt my toenails growing. I just HAD to go trim them right NOW. Then of course, the polish was chipping and that just couldn’t be left alone.
In a few minutes I am meeting one of my sisters for lunch. I will have successfully flittered away another morning of my best creative time to eggs plants, personal grooming, and moving around my stereo components (something I didn’t mention before, but it had to be done). I hope when I get home from lunch I won’t need a nap too badly.
But then, maybe lying down will help me visualize writing the novel just a little bit better.

No comments: